Your brain is VERY IMPORTANT.
It is the organ which controls most if not all of your body’s functions.
Therefore, it is absolutely necessary that we maintain a toxin-free environment in the brain.
Before we get into a discussion about toxins, let us take a quick look at some specifics which show why it is necessary to keep the brain free from toxins.
A Brief Overview of the Brain
The Frontal Lobe. The frontal lobe is responsible for planning, organizing, problem solving, memory, impulse control, decision making, controlling our behavior and emotions. The left frontal lobe also plays an important role in speech and language.
The Temporal Lobes. These lobes are responsible for recognizing and processing sound, understanding and producing speech, and various aspects of memory.
Cerebellum. Controls balance, movement, coordination, standing upright and moving around.
The Occipital Lobe. Receives and processes visual information, and helps in perceiving shapes and colors.
The Parietal Lobes. Control touch – hot or cold, pain and helps us to keep from bumping into things when we walk.
From this brief overview we can see that without a healthy brain most of the things we take for granted like walking, seeing, hearing and talking would not be possible. When we look at our brain from this perspective, we immediately feel the necessity of keeping it free of toxins.
How Can We Maintain a Toxin-free Brain?
“Prevention is better than cure” is an old saying that is still true today. Therefore eating an organic diet is the first way to ensure a healthy brain. You can read about organic food in a previous post on this site.
In addition to organic foods, there are other herbs which are known to be beneficial to the brain. One such herb is Tumeric, a yellow spice used traditionally in Indian dishes. Its root is widely used to make medicine, and it is considered to be a powerful antioxidant which protects the brain.
Things to Be Aware Of
Many products we use as a matter of course in our daily lives contain harmful substances which can hurt the brain. Let’s take a look at some of them.
- Batteries. Button cell batteries used in small portable electronic devices such as watches, cameras, digital thermometers, calculators and toys contain mercury. Mercury is one of the most toxic elements in our environment, and it is very detrimental to the brain.
- BPA is a synthetic compound used in plastics. It can be found in everyday items such as water bottles, sports equipment, CDs, and DVDs. It can also be found in the inside lining of food cans and water pipes, or in thermal paper, and is referred to as a hormone disruptor.
- Cigarette Smoke. Contains a substance called benzene which is poisonous.
- Flame Retardants. Can be found in furniture which contains polyurethane foam (even children’s car seats and crib mattresses), also in the insulation used in buildings, which is added to resist fires.
- Other Household Products. Household cleaners, cosmetics, personal hygiene products, nail polish and hair spray may contain a substance known as phthalate. Do you ever experience any negative reactions when you inhale any of these products? Listen to what your body is telling you.
The list of products mentioned here might lead you to believe that everything around us is harmful for our brain. But that simply is not true. There are many alternatives to toxic products.
To protect your brain, let me encourage you to look around in your home for products which contain harmful agents, and
de-tox your home. Read labels. Make a decision to include natural cleaning products, natural hair products and natural skin care products in your purchases. There are even non-toxic furniture both for you and your baby.
Eat right, and consider adding a herb like tumeric to your food.
Environmental toxins account for about 60-70% of behavioral problems such as autism, ADHD and dylexsia in children. According to a study put out by The Lancet Neurology, this has been caused by neurodevelopmental toxicity . Children are our future. Let us make all efforts to protect our future.
Allow me to leave this uplifting quotation as a close to his blog:
Humor is by far the most significant activity of the human brain. ~ Edward de Bono
To some, this quotation might seem unrelated to the topic of this blog; however, laughter helps to rid the brain of negative thoughts and emotions which in effect is another natural method of de-toxification.
Please feel free to leave comments, suggestions or questions in the comment area, and I will reply.
Live and Laugh!